A public hearing for the Banning Park HPOZ Preservation Plan has been scheduled for Monday, October 4, 2010. There will be an informational open house that begins at 6:00 P.M. and the official public hearing will begin at 7:00 P.M. The hearing will be located at the San Pedro Boys & Girls Club at 1200 S. Cabrillo Avenue, San Pedro, CA 90731.
The open house and hearing will be shared with the Vinegar Hill HPOZ, so expect to see folks from both neighborhoods at the event. A copy of the Draft Preservation Plan can be downloaded by selecting the link below (it’s a large file!) We have also provided a copy of the Notice of Public Hearing that will be sent out in the mail shortly. Both are PDF files, so you’ll need Adobe Acrobat Reader or another similar application to be able to open the files.
A small HPOZ comprised primarily of homes in the early Period Revival styles, Banning Park HPOZ is located near the Port of Los Angeles in the Wilmington community. The area comprising the HPOZ was originally part of the estate of General Phineas Banning, the “father of Wilmington,” an early developer of the port of San Pedro and a railroad tycoon. In 1927, William Wrigley Jr., of chewing gum fame, purchased a portion of the estate, now known as Banning Park, and developed the area with residences to house employees of Wilmington businesses. The architectural cohesiveness of this neighborhood can be attributed to locally prominent architect Sid Spearin, who called the development the “Original Court of Nation” and based his residential designs on Period Revival styles including Spanish, Dutch, American Colonial and Tudor Revival.